Monday 31 December 2007

Books Read 2007

I did a meme the other day about books read this year - well here's the whole list!
A wonderful new year to you all, see you in 2008...

  1. The Harp in the South – Ruth Park
  2. Cymbeline – William Shakespeare
  3. Pericles – William Shakespeare
  4. The Bookshop at 10 Curzon St.: Letters Between Nancy Mitford & Heywood Hill 1952-73 – ed. John Saumaricz Smith
  5. Troilus and Cressida – William Shakespeare
  6. The Bible
  7. The Philosophy of the Short Story – Brander Matthews
  8. Keynotes – George Egerton
  9. The Bean Trees – Barbara Kingsolver
  10. Watching the English – Kate Fox
  11. The Love Child – Edith Oliver
  12. Troilus and Criseyde – Geoffrey Chaucer
  13. Miss Hargreaves – Frank Baker
  14. The Rover – Aphra Behn
  15. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight – Pearl-poet
  16. Cleanness – Pearl-poet
  17. Patience – Pearl-poet
  18. The Professor’s House – Willa Carther
  19. Extreme Motherhood: The Triplet Diaries – Jackie Clune
  20. The Woman in the Moone – John Lyly
  21. One Pair of Hands – Monica Dickens
  22. Pistache – Sebastian Faulks
  23. Pearl – Pearl-poet
  24. Before I Go Hence – Frank Baker
  25. An Invisible Friendship – Joyce Grenfell & Katharine Moore
  26. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox – Maggie O’Farrell
  27. No Signposts in the Sea – Vita Sackville-West
  28. The Pursuit of Love – Nancy Mitford
  29. A Winter Book – Tove Jansson
  30. One Pair of Feet – Monica Dickens
  31. A Well Full of Leaves – Elizabeth Myers
  32. Human Voices – Penelope Fitzgerald
  33. Katherine Mansfield: A Secret Life – Claire Tomalin
  34. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – J. K. Rowling
  35. Sarrasine – Honoré de Balzac
  36. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – J. K. Rowling
  37. The London Scene – Virginia Woolf
  38. Notes on a Scandal – Zoe Heller
  39. Three Men in A Boat – Jerome K. Jerome
  40. Hunting the Highbrow – Leonard Woolf
  41. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – J. K. Rowling
  42. Sylva – Vercors
  43. Mrs. Miniver – Jan Struther
  44. A Room With A View – E. M. Forster
  45. Work For Four Hands – Margaret Pelling
  46. Doreen – Barbara Noble
  47. The Matisse Stories – A. S. Byatt
  48. Afterwords: Letters on the Death of Virginia Woolf – ed. Sybil Oldfield
  49. Speaking of Love – Angela Young
  50. The Jane Austen Book Club – Karen Joy Fowler
  51. Reading Groups – Jenny Hartley
  52. The Travels of Lady “Bulldog” Burton – Sandi Toksvig
  53. The Loudest Sound and Nothing – Claire Wigfall
  54. The Third Miss Symons – F. M. Mayer
  55. The A46 – Sara Parsons
  56. The Brontës – Alfred Sangster
  57. The Tenderness of Wolves – Stef Penney
  58. Deceived With Kindness – Angelica Garnett
  59. The Go-Between – L. P. Hartley
  60. The Greengage Summer – Rumer Godden
  61. The Uncommon Reader – Alan Bennett
  62. My Turn To Make The Tea – Monica Dickens
  63. On Chesil Beach – Ian McEwan
  64. Crow Lake – Mary Lawson
  65. Who Was Changed and Who Was Dead – Barbara Comyns
  66. Christine Kringle – Lynn Brittney
  67. Pigs and Pearls – Margaret Hogge
  68. A Lifetime Burning – Linda Gillard
  69. Fair Play – Tove Jansson
  70. Fair Play – Tove Jansson (again!)
  71. Parties – Tom Lappin
  72. The Stone Angel – Margaret Laurence
  73. The Closed Door and other stories – Dorothy Whipple
  74. A Family Life 1939-45 – Katharine Moore
  75. Tom’s Midnight Garden – Philippa Pearce
  76. Nightingale – Peter Dorward
  77. The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
  78. A Proper Family Christmas – Jane Gordon-Cumming
  79. Scar Tissue – Ruth Mary Hills
  80. No Star So Lovely – Alice Howlett
  81. The Most Glorious Strip of Bunting – John McGill
  82. All Passion Spent – Vita Sackville-West
  83. A Month in the Country – J. L. Carr
  84. The Wonderful Years – Reiner Kunze
  85. Findings – Kathleen Jamie
  86. One Good Turn – Kate Atkinson
  87. Shakespeare – Bill Bryson

13 comments:

  1. Given your liking of VW, I'll share one of the titles I received for Christmas:

    Hyde Park Gate News: The Stephen Family Newspaper, by Virginia (Woolf) and Vanessa (Bell) with Thoby Stephen - Foreword by Hermione Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year and thank you for all the prompts to read things i would not have heard of without your enthusiasm! Hope 2008 is a fruitful year for you in all your endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning my (as yet) unpublished work. Good luck for 2008.
    Sara Parsons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief.
    You may be pleased to know that after our New Year festivities, Sarah and I inexplicably stayed up til about 4am discussing literature - having some kind of private book group.
    "He represents the plight of the common man!" said Sarah.
    "We should really go to sleep now," said I.
    A most happy New Year to thee indeed x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an impressive list! Were some for your studies or do you just enjoy reading Chaucer? I'll be writing down some of your titles! What did you think of the Zoe Heller book? I just watched the movie--it was very good, but sort of wild. I'm interested in reading the book. Thanks for the heads up on the Bryson by the way. And a belated Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Danielle - no, Chaucer was definitely for studies! Because I finished my degree in July, quite a few of the top half of the list were for that.
    Notes on a Scandal - I thought it was a good novel, and very similar to the film. I saw the film first, which always makes me feel a little guilty... definitely not a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite an impressive list. I really enjoy reading your blog. I hope you have a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I note that the ONLY book in 2007 we share in common was that written by Ms Howlett. Of course Cornflower can explain the coincidence! Curious lack of books on quantum optics and sub-atomic particles I see ...

    Physics Cat

    ReplyDelete
  9. And All Passion Spent too, surely?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, APS too! Sadly I was not as enamoured of this book as you were, so perhaps my subconcious eliminated it from my memory (OK that is just me saying I made an error!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cornflower responsible for the coincidence, again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it is kind of ridiculous that I am commenting on such an old post, but I can't resist. I have been working my way through your old posts in reverse chronological order and there is so much that I find interesting.

    I have to ask, what did you think of The Professor's House by Cather? I have read most of her work and TPH comes out right at the top of my list. It may not be her most important book, but boy is it my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Thomas,

    I can't remember much except I liked it in parts! I struggle with the tone of a lot of American fiction from that period, not sure why (also didn't get on with The Great Gatsby, so there you go). I do love books about rooms, though, or any domestic space - so it won me over there!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.