Saturday 11 December 2010

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

Hope you're gearing up to have a good weekend. I am slowly weaning myself off painkillers, and more or less back to normal. No marathons, but then... 'normal' never included marathons. It did, however, include a book, a blog post, and a link, so shall we get on with the show?

1.) The book - is a novel about the life of one of my favourite writers, Katherine Mansfield, by Joanna FitzPatrick. It's called In Pursuit... the Katherine Mansfield Story Retold, and I have high hopes... Susan Seller's Vanessa and Virginia (about Vanessa Bell and Virginia Woolf) was one of my favourite reads in 2008, so I'm hoping Joanna FitzPatrick can work similar wonders.

2.) The blog post - is Verity and one of those things which can't help make you smile: a gingerbread house. For my own terrifying attempt from August 2009, scroll to the bottom of this post.

3.) The link - is about the new TV adaptation of Richmal Crompton's William Brown books. I loved the series which was on 15 or so years ago, and I'm looking forward to this one, which stars Daniel Roche of Outnumbered fame. The article also features a great celebration of the William books from legend Martin Jarvis, who narrates the new series, and is the voice of Richmal Crompton for those of us who loved the cassettes.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see Just William back on TV again,I loved the books as a little girl and remember the old TV versions, must dig out my books for a bit of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced that Verity is hiding a small family of elves in her pantry.

    Hope you are feeling back to your old self soon, Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to stream that one...I've been wanting to read the William books for years.

    I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.