Sunday 19 December 2010

Song for a Sunday

The Thomas family is reunited down in Somerset, and we have spent the past two evenings performing in the Chiselborough Christmas Cracker - a variety show which makes up in enthusiasm what it lacks in rehearsal time, and is jolly good fun. We did our own spin on the famous Monty Python 'Spanish Inquisition' sketch, with Col and I taking the roles of the Cardinals. Somehow it involved me doing a Scottish accent... I am just grateful that nobody in the audience was Scottish, because accents are not my strong suit. When it comes to acting, I have yet to find my strong suit - unless hearty enjoyment is one.

Anyway, this is a preamble to say how Christmassy I'm now feeling, and that's why this week's Sunday Song isn't my usual pick of a lesser-known artist, but rather a rendition of my favourite carol. It's In the Bleak Midwinter sung - why not? - by lovely Julie Andrews.



5 comments:

  1. I too think it is my favourite carol, though I struggle to choose between the Darke and Holst arrangements. Indeed, I am often unable to tell the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Have you heard this faster-tempo acoustic-rock version by Blackheart?
    http://bit.ly/fD1nS7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spanish Inquisition Cardinal with a Scottish accent? Of course. See John Hannah in Sliding Doors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this one! I wish I could go see you, it sounds like good fun - also for the actors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? No video of you and Colin? I just knew that's where you were headed after your introduction. :)
    I love Julie Andrews, though, and will accept the substitution. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.