Tuesday 17 July 2012

STW on VW


Sylvia Townsend Warner (photo source)

Sylvia Townsend Warner on Virginia Woolf

Diaries 26th January 1942
‘At Boots Library the young woman put into my hands Virginia Woolf’s last book [Between The Acts].  And I received an extraordinary impression how light it was, how small, and frail.  As though it was the premature-born child, and motherless, and literally, the last light handful remaining of that tall and abundant woman.  The feeling has haunted me all day.’

8 comments:

  1. Again, STW with her gift for imagery, and what a memorable, striking image this is! This passage makes me more eager than ever to read her diaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She had such a gift for metaphors, similes etc.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. When reading her diaries, one is a little overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of poignant and intelligent images - I'm glad I managed to extract at least one to re-use!

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.