Tuesday, 17 July 2012

STW on VW


Sylvia Townsend Warner (photo source)

Sylvia Townsend Warner on Virginia Woolf

Diaries 26th January 1942
‘At Boots Library the young woman put into my hands Virginia Woolf’s last book [Between The Acts].  And I received an extraordinary impression how light it was, how small, and frail.  As though it was the premature-born child, and motherless, and literally, the last light handful remaining of that tall and abundant woman.  The feeling has haunted me all day.’

8 comments:

  1. Again, STW with her gift for imagery, and what a memorable, striking image this is! This passage makes me more eager than ever to read her diaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She had such a gift for metaphors, similes etc.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing quote...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When reading her diaries, one is a little overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of poignant and intelligent images - I'm glad I managed to extract at least one to re-use!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Absolutely - and inimitably Warneresque.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment - my favourite part of blogging is reading your comments!

Annoyingly, Blogger often messes up with comments... try refreshing, or commenting Anonymously (add your name in, though!) or using Firefox/Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. (Ctrl+c your comment first!)

Failing everything, email me: simondavidthomas[at]yahoo.co.uk - or just email me anyway :)

Thanks!