Saturday 21 July 2012

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

My weekend is looking pretty busy - a wedding later today, and then packing, packing, packing.  For I am moving house - to Headington, just east of Oxford.  If anyone would like to update their address books, email me and I'll let you know my new address...  My actual move date is next Wednesday, so I may go a bit quiet, depending on how internet goes in the new place, and whether or not I manage to prepare some blog posts in advance.


1.) The book - nearly two years ago, I was surprised by how much I liked Ned Beauman's Boxer, Beetle, and now his next novel has been published by Sceptre.  It's called The Teleportation Accident (great title; great cover) and you can read more about it here.

2.) The link - is hilarious.  Fancy eavesdropping on a sleep talking man?  His wife records his alter ego (he does know about this!) and then transcribes.  It's so funny!  Have a listen here.

3.) The blog post - it's that time already!  Rosamund Lehmann Reading Week starts on Monday.  When I first heard about it, I didn't know I'd be moving house... I'm still very, very keen to join in, but... well, I'll try really hard.  If you're not in the process of packing up all your belongings, you should definitely join in. Let Florence tell you more here.

Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. I just wrote a long comment and it seems to have been swallowed in the ether -- so apologies if this is a repeat. I somehow missed the announcement about RL week and haven't got any of her books here in France, otherwise I'd have re-read, as I think I've read them all. Hope you manage at least one, as I've been urging you to give her a go for ages! But anyway best of luck with the move and hope you will be happy in your new abode in Headington. At least you will be able to pop round to Waitrose for goodies, and there's a great coffee place right next door -- perhaps we can meet there for a coffee and a chat next time I am in Oxford (September?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shame that you couldn't join in! And for some reason I didn't see this comment until now - it didn't manage to get through to my inbox. I'd love to meet up and have coffee in September -hopefully I will be well acquainted with the cafes of Headington by then!

      Delete
  2. If David Livingstone managed to educate himself by perching his text books on the end of the loom where he worked long hours, surely you could prop a book on the mantlepiece and read another line each time you walk past it???!!!
    Show some initiative Simon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I did do this in cataloguing; had a book propped between keyboard and computer...

      Delete
  3. Coincidentally, I'm also attending a wedding today!
    Good luck with the move, and I do hope you'll find a little time to join in the discussion on Rosamond Lehmann. Thanks for spreading the word at any rate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you'll now have spotted, I managed to join in - and I'm so pleased that I did :) I think if it hadn't been as good as it was, I might not have been able to finish in time.

      Delete
  4. Hey Simon who are you marrying?! The cat is on his travels again, off to CERN on Monday. Good luck with the move, hope to meet you again in Oxford soon. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best for your move. Have you had to notify Thames Valley Police that a large consignment of books will be travelling across the city, with potential delays to traffic as a result? Actually, I don't suppose books moving around Oxford is anything unusual.

    I hope you will be very happy in your new home. Do you know your new housemates well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oxford is one of those places where you can often look through people's windows and see rows and rows of books.. it's lovely!

      I've lived with one of my new housemates before, but I don't know the other two well at all. Yet!

      Delete
  6. That sleeping man and his ramblings are too funny! There was a discussion amongst my friends about your brain 'defragmenting' during sleep. Certainly could explain the randomness of the dialogue...what a hoot!

    All the best with your move, Simon. I will send you an email, must keep my Christmas card list current!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend sleep-screams, which is most unnerving!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the move Simon and make sure you pack those books well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing with books is, although they're heavy and take up space, they pack very neatly!

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.