Friday 27 July 2012

Dusty Answer - Rosamond Lehmann

Despite packing and moving and all sorts, I have managed (just in time) to finish Dusty Answer by Rosamond Lehmann, and thus I am participating in Florence's Rosamond Lehmann Reading Week!  I also realise I've been spelling it 'Rosamund' up until now.  Sorry, Ros.

I bought Dusty Answer (1927) eight years ago, and it's been on holiday with me a couple of times, and yet I hadn't read it (or any Rosamond Lehmann novels) until this week.  I had intended to read a different Lehmann novel, but then decided to start at the beginning, with the novel Lehmann had published when she was 26, the same age I am.  I'm glad I did.  Dusty Answer is brilliant, and fulfilled all the expectations I've been building up in my head over the past eight years.

The papier-mache dog (Pastey) was made by my friend Mel's boyfriend...
Mel insisted that he make an appearance.
The novel concerns Judith Earle, an only-child who is mostly solitary, but who becomes friendly with the children who visit next door - and who end up figuring hugely in her life.  They are Mariella, Roddy, Julian, Charlie, and Martin - mostly cousins, but Julian and Charlie are brothers - and have a busy, high-spirited life which Judith joins in nervously but so very whole-heartedly.  They are her life, for a summer or two - and ice-skating a while later - and have a huge significance in her otherwise lonely upbringing.   It takes a talented writer to write about childhood without the novel feeling like a children's book, and Lehmann achieves this wonderfully.  The cast is well-drawn - foolish but amiable Martin, above-it-all Julian, unusual Roddy, beautiful Charlie, and self-conscious Mariella.  Lehmann captures childhood, and the fleeting but all-absorbing interaction with other children, even when it lasts only a little while.  Although nothing exceptional happens in these chapters, the atmosphere is consumingly beautiful.  Part of me wishes the whole of Dusty Answer dealt with their childhood, from the subjective but astute gaze of Judith.  It would have been enough.

But, we learn in the first page or two, Charlie is killed.  The children grow up and don't see each other.  Judith must start to make a life for her own - which she does, as a student at Cambridge.  This was the section I liked least.  The character who looms largest in Judith's life at this point is Jennifer - they bond over insulting a chubby, ugly girl behind her back; they are essentially horrified by a lack of beauty.  This was where I lost a bit of sympathy for Judith.  But a novel - even one which looks through the eyes of one character - doesn't fail or succeed on the sympathetic qualities of its protagonist.  Lehmann still writes engagingly and Cambridge life, but I missed the cousins.  I wanted them back.  That group was what gave the novel vitality for me.  And, luckily... they came back!  I shan't spoil any more, but things get increasingly complex...

Dusty Answer spans Judith's life from childhood to her early twenties (I think) and Lehmann is convincing at the subtle ways she changes as she ages - and the same for all the children as they become adults (except poor Charlie, of course.)  Only Julian and Roddy got rather confused in my mind, and we might be able to lay the blame at the door of the hot weather this week.  As a central character, Judith is convincing in her thoughts and responses, irksome in her self-consciousness and occasional hysteria, and an odd (but believable) mix of concern for the lives of others and intense introspection.  Perhaps common traits of the only-child with distant parents.  One character sums up her approach to life rather well:
Have you ever been happy?  No.  Whenever you come near to being, you start thinking: "Now I am happy.  How interesting... Am I really happy?"
Yet, although she has a few off-putting qualities, these only serve to make her more interesting and rounded as a focal pair of eyes for the novel.  She seems to have been based on Lehmann herself.  None of the characters are saints or sinners; the good do not end happily and the bad unhappily - Lehmann's novel reflects the highs and lows, obsessions and irritations of life itself - albeit rather heightened at times.

But the reason I loved Dusty Answer was Lehmann's writing, especially in the first section.  It's another of those novels which starts with a little bit of prolepsis (starting with some information, then skipping back into the past) but it worked well here, because we are going back to Judith's childhood.  The effect lends an air of added nostalgia to the early chapters.  It actually reminded me of a couplet written by Miss Hargreaves (!) - her poetry is usually nonsensical, but there was a definite sense at the beginning of Dusty Answer of 'Halcyon, halcyon, halcyon days / Wrapped in high summer's indigenous haze.'    And Lehmann writes so, so beautifully.  As with Sybille Bedford, it's difficult to pinpoint sections which are especially brilliant, because all of it flows exquisitely.  Karen (whose review is here) wrote on the LibraryThing discussion of Rosamond Lehmann: 'What beautiful, dreamy, atmospheric prose she writes!'  And she's spot on.  As I say, picking out an excerpt is tricky - indeed, it somehow seems rather like purple prose in isolation, which it never does in context, but I thought I'd better not write a whole review without any quotations...
Into the deep blue translucent shell of night.  The air parted lightly as the car plunged through it, washing away in waves that smelt of roses and syringa and all green leaves.  The moon struggled with clouds.  She wore a faint and gentle face.

"I shouldn't be surprised if there was rain before daybreak," said Martin; and, reaching at length the wan straight high road, accelerated with a sigh of satisfaction.

"Faster, Martin, faster."

Faster and faster he went.  She settled herself close against him, and through half-shut eyes saw the hawthorn and wild-rose hedges stream backward on either hand.  The night air was a drug from whose sweet insinuating caress she prayed never to wake.  Soon, through one leafy roadway after another, the headlights pierced a tunnel of green gloom.  The lanes were full of white scuts and little paws, paralysed; and then, as Martin painstakingly slowed down, dipping and twinkling into the banks.  Moths flickered bright-winged an instant in the lamplight before being dashed to their fried and ashy death.  Once or twice came human beings, objects of mean and foolish design, incongruous in the night's cast grandeur; and here and there, under the trees, upon the stiles, in the grass, a couple of them, locked face to face, disquietingly still, gleamed and vanished.  She observed them with distaste: passion was all ugliness and vulgar imbecility.
But I think the only way to see whether or not you'd like Dusty Answer is to pick up a copy and start reading.  Since it was on my shelf for eight years, you'll have gathered that a synopsis alone doesn't sell it as a must-read.  But if, like me, you've somehow gone through your life without reading any of Rosamond Lehmann's output, then - hie thee to a library!

Thanks so much, Florence, for running Rosamond Lehmann Reading Week and for making me finally read this novel.  It's so, so good!

22 comments:

  1. I teach Dusty Answer, and it's a very good one for the late teens, even foreign ones. trhey relate passionately to the university novel element, and to the agonising love affairs, and struggle over Martin. Being Flemish they also like the ice-skating! It's a good novel, but not one I reread for pleasure, too angsty, too introspective, I keep wanting to shake Judith, but she's a very good portrait of a teenager, who barely grows up. Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, despite my usual allergy for introspective teenagers, I didn't find it too much in Dusty Answer - although if the whole thing had been set during the Cambridge years, it definitely *would* have been too much...

      Delete
  2. I'm also glad I joined in the week (reading Invitation to the Waltz), and enjoyed that so much I want to read Dusty Answer too. Lovely review as always Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annabel! I have two or three other RLs waiting, including Invitation to the Waltz, so will get to that one day...

      Delete
  3. It is a wonderful novel, isn't it Simon? As you say, the prose alone makes it worth reading - and I'm still thinking about the book days after finishing it which is always a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed it after waiting all this time to read it. It's a while since I read it but this brought it all back -- what a lovely book, what great quotes and what an excellent review. Perhaps you'll read more of RL now? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harriet! I definitely will read more now - I have two or three others. Indeed, she's one of those authors I know I own several of, but can never remember which ones.

      Delete
  5. I just looked back at my 2009 review of this book when I discovered I hadn't added it to my librarything books. I actually remember it very well - it was the first Rosamond Lehmann nove I had read and I loved it. I think I too liked the Cambridge section rather less than the rest of the novel, and Judith and Jennifer's treatment of that poor girl was vile. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could squeeze it into re-reading month!

      Delete
  6. Yes, J & J were very cruel to poor Mabel, but I think that was part of Lehmann's way of showing Jennifer's callousness, Judith's ambivalence and naivety, and the way girls really can be towards each other. It was desperately sad and not pleasant to read in places but I think it was a necessary part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - I got the impression that it was supposed to show Jennifer's sensitivity to her environment, and that Lehmann rather supported their view. Intriguing that we had different interpretations!

      Delete
  7. 'Ah, what a dusty answer gets the soul / When hot for certainties in this our life!' (George Meredith) I read Dusty Answer many years ago and have been meaning to give it a re-read, as I remember loving it. I'm envious that you have Lehmann's Invitation to the Waltz ahead of you, and look forward to your thoughts on that gorgeous novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't spot the epigraph by Meredith until I'd nearly finished, and it made a lot of sense!

      Delete
  8. Ah Simon, your lovely review brought DL back to me, I really must reread it. I think you will enjoy Invitation to the Waltz too (which I did reread quite recently and is just as beautiful as I remember).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I to the W will have to be my next Lehmann!

      Delete
  9. I'm so pleased you enjoyed Dusty Answer so much!

    I never found Judith's introspection too much, either. It is intense, yes, but I suppose that is the natural consequence of being constantly in the character's head rather than having an omniscient narrator who can take his distance when things get too hot. My mother agreed with the comment above, however, and said she got completely exasperated with Judith's angst.

    As for the section on childhood, I too found it was excellently done - and so accurate! I particularly enjoyed all Judith's day-dreaming and making up of stories about Charlie - that had me laughing no end.

    I posted a few thoughts the other day on Dusty Answer and the comparison between Lehmann's style and Debussy's music:
    http://missdarcyslibrary.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/rlrw-day-4/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for running this week, it was really fun. I have to say, the day-dreaming irritated me - the only bit that did in the first section - but that's because I have a pathological aversion to hearing about other people's dreams!

      Delete
  10. Aw, nobody complimented Pastey. Good boy, Pastey. There you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame! They probably just thought he was a Real Dog.

      Delete
  11. This blog is a marvelous place to come for valuable info! Will you be mind if I reblog some of your posts on my personal site?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No one seems to have mentioned that the Cambridge section of the novel is in fact the depiction of a lesbian romance. Jennifer may be cruel in parts but she is a deeply troubled character. Her sexuality continually dogs her until it destroys the relationship she has with Judith. After re-reading this novel it has become clear to me that this love story is actually the only REAL one in the whole novel. The Fyfe family represent traditional English beliefs and ideals, and Judith does not fit in with these. She is a human character who has faults and desires. The only time we feel close to Judith's true nature is when she is with Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.