Friday 13 July 2012

Chatsworth: the photos!

It's felt like quite a long week, and my energy levels are about up to posting a whole bunch of photos... so here are some snaps from my day at Chatsworth!  The weather wasn't great, but the company was, and the house and gardens are beautiful.  I didn't spend all that much time in the garden, but last time I went I spent more time in the garden than the house, so it evened out nicely (and this time Colin wasn't waiting in the car park!)  So... photo post ahoy!

This was the carriage they used at the
Coronation, I think -
included a great metal horse...

There is plenty of slightly unusual sculpture around -
this was probably my favourite bit.
Note the gilded balcony!

The order of service for the Coronation!

A whole Coronation room!  I was in Heaven.

Here we all are, standing looking regal on a staircase.
(l-r: me, June, Carol, Barbara - who has a blog)

Even on a gloomy day, not a bad view to have, eh?

For those who watched the BBC series, here's a close-up of the gilding...
I also saw the Head Tour Guide (whose story was in ep.1) walk past me.

A rather striking room - but, wait, what is that behind the door?

My dark, blurry photo doesn't really show it  -
but this is the most amazing piece of
trompe-l'oeil I have ever seen

My favourite part of a rather over-decorated house was this
beautiful wallpaper.  It might be a little overpowering 
if one had less capacious rooms, though...

The library!  It was actually very cosy.

Library Part 2.
Claire - how does this do on Library Lust?

Not, as June (I think) whispered, for a TV dinner...

The most wonderful baked cheesecake, which I ate in the cafe.

Into the garden - the spraying willow.

The gardens are a great mix of formal and unusual
- and I love steps anywhere.

From the highest point, looking across...

Just one of many separate sections, all with different characters

The house which supposedly made Elizabeth love Darcy(!)

Can't say I was wholly enamoured with the art in the grounds... 

No escape!  While waiting for my train at Chesterfield,
I saw that the Duke of Devonshire had donated
various pictures to the train station.

27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It has to be one of the most beautiful places, ever!

      Delete
  2. Totally agree Susan! Simon, did you drive? Is it possible to get there from London via public transportation? Next time I'm in England I would really like to go. I've read Christmas is also a lovely time to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to drive, but went by train in the end. Someone picked me up from the train station at Chesterfield. Technically I think it is possible from London, with a range of buses, but might not be the simplest thing in the world - especially since the first off-peak (and thus much cheaper) train gets in about noon.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! That library is gorgeous (predictably, you've inspired me to search out high res photos of it for a future Library Lust post) but it's the grounds that I am most drawn to, minus the modern sculptures. I will definitely try to get there on my next trip to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My photo seems to have turned out rather wonky, so good luck finding a better one! You'd love it there, I'm sure (minus the sculptures... but I suppose it is their family home, so they can do what they like!)

      Delete
  4. Fab, Simon.

    I so want to go and visit after seeing the programme and now these photos. Will certainly try very soon.

    Thanks for sharing, and I love the library photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to go again after the programmes, and see things from a slightly different angle!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. It's one place I'm dying to visit. That violin looked very real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even looking at it when there, and knowing it's fake, it looks so real!

      Delete
  6. We can all dream, can't we (of being Elizabeth or Darcy, I mean, obviously ...).

    Gorgeous pics, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes! I'd settle for live-in servant...

      Delete
  7. Simon, you must have heard the story about the library: the duke (can't remember which one it was) was entertaining a friend. The latter indicated the gallery which runs round the library and asked how one got up there. "Damned if I know", said his host.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the same feeling in a couple of libraries that I've visited for, or associated with, work. Fortunately some kind person has always shown me the way! Presumably the parlour maid would have known (or whoever dusts libraries in grand houses; my housekeeper is on her annual day off today so I cannot ask her)

      Delete
    2. I'd forgotten that, Karen! Isn't that great?

      Delete
  8. I have not been to Chatsworth - although have wanted to go for years never managed to get around to it. I have half promised myself a day out there this summer - if I can figure a way to get there on public transport. Your photos are lovely - and I now want to go more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently there are buses straight from Sheffield station - or buses from Chesterfield to Baslow and a 1.5 mile walk...

      Delete
  9. Looks like you remembered your camera just in the nick of time when it came to that cheesecake! Lovely photos all around, Simon. Chatsworth has been on my list for so long that a mini-swoon is likely to happen once I finally get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong, Darlene, it took some will-power not to wolf it all down immediately!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful place, great photos. Will keep it in mind if I get back to
    England again. (I should say " when" I get back to England again! Thank you for sharing.Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's a little out of the way of anything else, but definitely worth seeing.

      Delete
  11. Haven't been to Chatsworth for years, are the Lucian Freuds or Hockneys or the famous Sargent of the _Sisters now on show?

    Cheers

    Herts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sargent was, but I didn't see the Freuds or Hockneys this time - I did last time. Well, there was a Freud of a horse, but the portraits of the family seem to have been moved.

      Delete
  12. I love the library, but why is there a PIANO in it?? That seems a bit antithetical. Still, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just imagine someone playing quiet, lilting music in the background... better? ;)

      Delete
  13. lovely pics , it is only few miles from me ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see that table cloth looking so smooth. Did you see the episode of the TV series where they washed it & it went all wrinkly? Cue panic!!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.