Tuesday 19 June 2012

Word Verification

I'm afraid I've had to reactivate word verification.  I know it's a pain, but I've been getting so many spam comments recently that I'm having to bring it back.  Sorry!  To give you a smile, I was amused by one of the spam comments I got today.  Usually they give a link to their website after a vaguely positive comment about 'your site'.  This innovative spammer went with something a bit different...  They still had their link, but before that:
The very next time I read a blog, Hopefully it won't disappoint me as much as this particular one. After all, I know it was my choice to read through, but I genuinely thought you'd have something interesting to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of moaning about something you could fix if you weren't too busy searching for attention.

UPDATE: Well, I've had two spam comments in the not-very-long since I posted this, so apparently Word Verification doesn't make any difference.  I've turned it back off for now.

15 comments:

  1. Too funny! I still have my word verification off (fingers crossed), but spam can be such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It really is annoying. But somehow word verification doesn't make any difference.

      Delete
  2. Maybe I just don't have the traffic everyone else does. I have my blog set to moderate comments after 48 hours and no word verification. Once in a while some spam gets through to be moderated by me, lets' say three or four times a year, maybe a bit more.

    It does arrive in little batches, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get any for quite a while, so maybe I'm just in a batch at the moment!

      Delete
  3. Oh... this wasn't spam... I just couldn't keep my disappointment to myself any longer.
    You had to hear it, man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in some blogs a new commenter is moderated and then approved, so that only veteran commenters can get in without giving the secret hand signal (based on email addy, I gather). Can that be done?

    Oh Mel, such a joker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Blogger has enabled this - it seems to be a Wordpress/Typepad function. Sigh...

      Delete
    2. Too bad that Blogger don't seem to have this. I use it on my Wordpress blog, and it works like a charm. Good lucking in keeping the spam out.

      Delete
  5. I love that comment -- hilarious! I use Tyoepad and no word verification -- anyway, doesn't that just screen for robots? Though how they'd get onto your blog in the first place I can't begin to imagine. I get spam from time to time but I do have a facility for blocking that particular person. I think Wordpress may be more subtle in its dealing with this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things are robots, I think, Harriet. I haven't had angry spam comments from real life people yet, thankfully!

      Delete
  6. There seemed to be a phase of negative spam comments on my own blog a while ago, all positive and then one day, lots of negativity. I wonder if they think it makes it look as if they actually read the blog, because having an opinion is natural as a human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're probably right, Charlie. But I was not fooled! ;)

      Delete
  7. Isn't most blog spam hilarious? But I find Akismet (Wordpress plugin) catches it all. Do you have that on Blogger? I also get ridiculous blatant scams to my blog e-mail address that I never get to my Gmail address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger does tend to identify the spam and not publish it, so that's good - but the comments still arrive in my inbox.

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.