Wednesday 20 February 2008

Book Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday on a Wednesday?


Well, I started writing this post last night, with the intention of waking up early in putting it out there before the good people of the world woke up, but I overslept and so that didn't happen. Oops. But at least it's still a Thursday! This week's question:

All other things (like price and storage space) being equal, given a choice in a perfect world, would you rather have paperbacks in your library? Or hardcovers? And why?

Hmm. Not as simple as it sounds. Ideally, I'd have a mix - ol
d hardbacks and new paperbacks. Nothing I love more than a 1930s hardback (except for God, family, sleep, sandwiches... ahem) but I have little time for modern hardbacks. So cumbersome and attention-seeking. Some beautiful paperbacks, though, add colour and diversity to my mellow shelves. If I had to choose between the two, and not be allowed my compromise... hmm... well, I'm biased in that my favourite authors aren't available in paperback and never were, so I'll have to choose hardback. I could always add colour with soft furnishings...


Over to you...?

9 comments:

  1. You're so right - the old hardcovers books are quite special.
    And a mix is always good - fair all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever thought of becoming a diplomat?

    But seriously, a mixture is the best, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love new hardbacks too, they are a treat. paperbacks win though, hands down.
    lge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd opt for paperbacks mostly for new books and either for the older ones. Strangely I don't like buying new hardcovers as later they often end up in remaindered piles for low prices and so I don't see the value in hardcovers. Strange as that sounds. I will buy a hardcover if it is something I really don't want to wait for the paper edition. And I think UK hardcovers are made better, too. I've been ILL-ing UK titles and the books are thicker--they're made better--heavier paper or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I didn't want to decide either! A mixture is definitely the way to go in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say that I didn't like modern hardcovers at all, but then I thought of a couple of large format books that are lovely to handle and read; I like that they lie flat when open, where a paperback version wouldn't do so as readily. Otherwise, I like old hardbacks and paperbacks, and new paperbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old hardbacks also have a very different tactile feel to them than newer ones. Something to do with the quality of paper used, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a number of 1930s (and older hardbacks). I love them too. Happy BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it's your perfect world you can have both. Well, that's what I think and what I would do.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.