Wednesday 12 January 2011

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


My housemate Mel (who also edits fab flash fiction blog
The Pygmy Giant) was telling me about the book she'd just finished, and was so enthusiastic about it that I told her to put her money where her mouth was. Well, I expect I said something more sensible and less slangy. Either way, she speedily wrote this brilliant review... enjoy and, if you're like me, be severely tempted...


Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Yesterday I finished what I think might possibly be the best book I've ever read. It's probably not, but the fact that I am sitting here trying to get over it makes me think it's a real contender.

I was introduced to Jonathan Safran Foer perhaps a year ago when my old housemate Liz leant me his first novel,
Everything is Illuminated. I'd heard about that book a lot, but always thought it sounded like some pretentious intellectual tome that I'd never want to wade through. It was not. The strange-sounding title comes from the narrator's technique of trying to write well in English by using a thesaurus far too liberally. It was funny, weird, tragic, original and totally brilliant. I recommend that one too...

So I bought Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close on the back of that good experience. The title is again inspired by the narrator's distinctive way of describing things. It again features the stories of multiple generations of a family, and again much of the narration is done through letters.

If I had to tell you what it's about, I'd say it's about missing people. It's about loss, and how loss can disrupt your entire life. It's about the personal consequences of war. It's about regret, and the things you just can't talk about. It's about things being simple, yes and no, and things being complicated.

In summary, Oskar is a smart, nine year-old nerd. He loved his dad above all else. His dad was killed in the twin towers on September 11. A year later, going through his dad's things, he discovers a mysterious key in an envelope, and makes it his mission (his 'raison d'etre' – he's learning French) to find out what it unlocks. He travels all across New York meeting everybody in the phone book with the surname Black. They can't help but love him – he's unintentionally funny, curious, and straightforward. The humour comes from Oskar's telling of the story, but it's also crushingly sad.

At the same time, we gradually learn the story of Oskar's grandfather, who left his grandmother before his dad was born, through a series of letters written to the son he never met. What is completely brilliant about this is that Grandpa can't talk, so communicates by writing in notebooks. His letters are interspersed with photos of doorknobs (you'll find out why) and pages that he has written messages on to other people. This is so cleverly done, it means that everything is gradually (as the author would say) illuminated. The fact that he has YES and NO tattooed on his hands becomes symbolically significant too. I love the way all his words, all his days are recorded in books, on the backs of envelopes, on napkins or on his own arms – what these pieces of paper are used for, where his words get stuffed, what washes off, is fabulous. e.g.:

Later that year, when snow started to cover the front steps, when morning became evening as I sat on the sofa, buried under everything I'd lost, I made a fire and used my laughter for kindling: “Ha ha ha!” “Ha ha ha!” “Ha ha ha!” “Ha ha ha!”

In fact, all the parts written by Oskar's grandfather are a wonderful stream of poetry.

Thirdly, we find Oskar's beloved grandma writing him a letter/typing out her life story, explaining things that were never said, and perhaps giving us a more reliable version of events than her husband's. Oskar's grandparents witnessed the bombing of Dresden, and basically lost their lives there. They meet again in New York, Grandpa tells us, like this:
… the place was half empty but she slid right up to me, “You've lost everything,” she said, as if we were sharing a secret, “I can see.”

The three narrators are excellently drawn, each with their own writing style and their own way of expressing their story. And the writing is just beautiful. I cried at a letter from Stephen Hawking; I did not predict that. If you've never lost somebody vital, I don't know how you will react to this story, but I think it will probably still break your heart.

I don't want to put in too many spoilers, but to tell you what I love about this book, I think I just need to quote some astonishing lines that express so well some of the experiences of grief.

“You never write to me.” “But I'm with you.” “So?” … It's the tragedy of loving, you can't love anything more than something you miss.

When I no longer had to be strong in front of you, I became very weak. I brought myself to the ground, which was where I belonged. I hit the floor with my fists. I wanted to break my hands, but when it hurt too much, I stopped. I was too selfish to break my hands for my only child.


“I lost a son.” “You did? How did he die?” “I lost him before he died.” “How?” “I went away.” “Why?” He wrote, “I was afraid.” “Afraid of what?” “Afraid of losing him.” “Were you afraid of him dying?” “I was afraid of him living.” “Why?” He wrote, “Life is scarier than death.”

Warning - this is from near the end:
“I wish I hadn't found it.” “It wasn't what you were looking for?” “That's not it.” “Then what?” “I found it and now I can't look for it.” I could tell he didn't understand me. “Looking for it let me stay close to him for a little while longer.” “But won't you always be close to him?” I knew the truth. “No.”

So this all sounds depressing, but there is so much humour and humanity in here that it's a million miles from being a dirge. There are also nice little mysteries and clues and unexplained things that all come together later on in the book.

In summary: Oh My Goodness. In my boundless enthusiasm about this book, I feel like I've turned into Oskar. It's extremely original and incredibly sad. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be astonished.

14 comments:

  1. She did an amazing job with this review...I'm typing this comment as fast I can so I can buy it.

    Jonathan Safran Foer has such a way of getting inside people, I know he did the same fo me with "Everything is Illuminated."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to an author which I had not known about. I really like this story, the history and background of it. This goes to my TBR without doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mel - you did a fabulous job of introducing me to another author that I'd never heard of. I'm going to add these to my list of books to be on the lookout for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is a lot less bizarre than Eveything Is Illumnated and I thought it worked even better... Thanks Sim for letting me rave about it.

    PS that big quote in the middle is actually ment to be three different quotes, if you're thinking that it sounds like a lot of nonsense...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel - Oops... I did put it in as three separate quotations, but Blogger routinely bunches things together. Fixed it now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree completely with your enthusiastic review. I plowed through this book and was so sad to actually finish it. And you're right about the mixture of humor - I love when a book can make you laugh and cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely enthusiastic review. I have to say that I didn't love Everything is Illuminated but this one sounds like it could be worth getting a copy of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this too ,I thought foer had a unusal take on 9 11 story and seeing it through oskars eyes as he struggles on his quest was a subtile way of doing this ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  9. The review was fantastic, sold me the book, without a doubt.

    Other commenters (hope that's a real word, not something I just made up), also seem to agree how good the book is, so that's good enough for me.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I also liked the book - it is one that is really hard to let go off.

    It is also a great book group book - lots to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too thought that this would be a 'pretentious intellectual tome' and decided to avoid it like the plague. However, you convinced me otherwise. Thank you, it sounds beautiful.
    It sounds like Nick Hornby's 'About a Boy'.Is it? I hope its not as bleak.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I can't wait to read this! It's been on the TBR as well. I loved Everything is Illuminated so much. Have you also read Foer's wife Nicole Krauss? Her History of Love is bee-yoo-tiful. Love it to bits. Their writing styles and subject matters are very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Err I'd better reply to these...

    Yvonne - great, my work here is done. :)

    Anon - hmmm, I wouldn't have thought of Nick Hornby, it's nowhere near as light. Serious subject matter addressed gently humourously? Some of this book is gently humourous in that way, but much of it is creative, quirky and deadly serious. Easy to read, nevertheless. To be honest, it is more bleak than About a Boy (which I love) - but it's much more beautiful.

    Kissacloud - no! Thanks for the tip, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read it! I've been hearing so much about it but I don't think it's translated in my language.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.