Friday 20 February 2009

Apologies, Acceptances, and Adorable books


Sorry to take a break without warning you all! I've spent a few days in lovely Ludlow with the rest of the Thomas clan. Ludlow, in Shropshire, is my favourite town - feels like stepping back in time. The buildings are all beautiful and old, the streets windy and the atmosphere calming. A delightful antidote to the bustle of Oxford, and some fun times with my family.

I came back to the news that I have a place at Warwick Univer
sity to do my PhD! The next step is asking for funding, which is, of course, the deal-breaker - and I'm still waiting to hear from Oxford, so nothing has been sorted yet, but it is still very pleasing to have the offer on the table. Even if I have next to no time to sort out my funding application... has to be there by March 2nd. Could be tight. Fingers crossed!

Something remotely bookish should be in this post, really, shouldn't it... well, why not return with a giveaway? I've managed to get two copies of Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day by Winifred Watson - Persephone's highes
t selling book - and so I'm going to give one away. It's in the grey cover, rather than the Persephone Classics cover, and for those who don't know it, it's a charming Cinderella-esque story about a governess who gets caught up in a world of sassy young things, nightclubs and romance. Written in 1938, Miss P is perhaps a little light and frothy, but at the very top of its field - a novel which it is more or less impossible to dislike. If you'd like a copy, pop your name in the comments.

17 comments:

  1. I need a little impossible to dislike right now. Include me? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would LOVE to win this book, please include me :)
    roseann@thesocialfrog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to be contrary Simon, but I didn't like Miss Pettigrew lives for a day. Maybe because expectations were too high, I found it underwhelming and quite a few of its attitudes offensive.

    Wish you luck with securing the PHD funding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your PhD place! Please don't include me in the book draw as I've read the book and was very disappointed after all the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many congrats on the PhD offer -- no surprises though as I'm sure anyone would be lucky to get you. Hope the funding comes good, ditto Oxford if that is your desire. I already have the book and loved it -- sorry to hear it did not do it for Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simon, I would love to be entered in this give away.

    And good luck with your funding. What are you going to do your Phd in?

    A while ago you asked if anyone was interested in an essay you had written. I did write and said that I was interested in reading it, but I never got a reply. Would still love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh - count me in! Congratulations on your place and good luck with securing funding. My fingers and toes are crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have a classics copy, but this would be lovely! Please add my name :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to ask the nay-sayers to give Miss Pettigrew another chance, and try again. Sometimes older books do not lie well with the book you have just finished, and you can be put off for the wrong reason. Don't read it with 21st century awareness; I found singing the Beethoven D mi symphony hard until I threw my mind back to the time of its composition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please count me in the draw. Congratulations and good luck with the funding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coincidence? I just received the movie from Netflix to watch tonight...would be nice to read the book too!

    from a new reader...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish you luck ! Ludlow looks very English indeed... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your PHD place and best of luck with the funding. I would love to be entered for the draw as yet to read this book. The film is on my new release list at Lovefilm but would love to read it first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big fan of Persephone Books so I'd love a chance at this one. Thanks! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, Congratulations to you - and good luck on the funding.

    Second, _loved_ Ludlow! We were there back in 1985, during our first visit to England and with two teenagers in tow who also loved the place (have some wonderful photos of architectural details - little heads on the corners of buildings, etc.)

    And, last of all, enter my name in the draw as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The book sounds great fun, count me in!

    Must visit Ludlow sometime...

    Button

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jennifer Dee - I'm afraid I can't find your email address - could you email me again on simondavidthomas@yahoo.co.uk and I'll email you a copy of my essay? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.