Wednesday 16 July 2014

My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff

One of the best books I've read this year is My Salinger Year, Joanna Rakoff's memoir of working in a literary agency in the 1990s. I was sold by the description when Bloomsbury emailed me (thanks for the review copy, Bloomsbury!) but it might have languished on my shelves unread if Victoria, my Shiny New Books co-editor hadn't enthused about it.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I have not one, not two, but three My Salinger Year links!

1.) I've reviewed it over at Vulpes Libris today.

2.) Victoria reviewed it at Shiny New Books.

3.) Best for last - Victoria interview Joanna Rakoff for Shiny New Books, and I think it's the best thing we've had there yet. Great questions, thoughtful answers - definitely go and read it!

13 comments:

  1. Oh good. It's already on my hold list at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your review at VL - it IS hard to put your finger on exactly what's so fabulous about this book, isn't it? It's just sort of solid gold quality through and through. I've offered our interview to one magazine, so cross your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best books are often elusive in that way!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful reviews and interview. I'm enjoying nonfiction this year more than fiction (although often nonfiction, like this, which is somehow about fiction) -- and this is definitely one more to put on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lory! I seem to enjoy non-fiction more every year. My poor old father was right! I used to tell him I'd read non-fiction when I'd finished all fiction.

      Delete
  4. I have heard so many good things about this title already, so thanks for adding to the fodder! I will take Susan's cue and put a hold on it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think of it, Ruthiella!

      Delete
  5. I shrugged this off as another gimmicky book, but now I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved, loved, loved this book. I'm now re-reading Salinger. Can you recommend a good Salinger biography, Simon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I've not read any! Not being a fan of Salinger, I'd never investigated...

      Delete
  7. One odd and interesting book about Salinger is Ian Hamilton's "In Search Of J D Salinger" Hamilton wrote a biography and Salinger, who zealously guarded his privacy, sued; the .resulting book is a "making of" type book, with Hamilton's legal battles with Salinger included. There's also, a more standard style bio from 2011, "JD Salinger: A Life" by Kenneth Slawenski, and "Salinger" by David Shields, an oral history - but I haven't read ithese ones myself, and many fans of Salinger seem disappointed in them, but they might be worth a look. ENM

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.