Saturday 19 July 2014

Conference

Sorry for an unannounced disappearance! I've been in London since Thursday attending The Space Between conference, which was absolutely wonderful (albeit extremely hot - I had to make a lunchtime trip to buy t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops as I couldn't face the idea of wearing conference clothes in the evenings). Such lovely, fascinating people, and easily my favourite bit of academia - and the bit I can cling onto!

I gave a paper called 'Let Other Pens Treat of Sex': Metamorphosis, Marriage, and the Middlebrow, talking about David Garnett's Lady Into Fox and Ronald Fraser's Flower Phantoms in relation to changing ideas about women's sexuality in 1920s marriage - and it was very well received, I'm pleased to say.

I also bought a fair few books... will report back on those soon!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my. Your paper sounds of academia. You're truly a member of the intelligentsia, Simon, flip-flops notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fascinating, must investigate further! And look forward to learning of your buys, and from where perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to see you Simon, and it was an excellent paper (in my humble opinion)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an excellent paper! Glad you had a good time at the conference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fascinating paper. Wish I could have heard it.
    And yes, the heat in London has been oppressive!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.