Saturday 6 April 2013

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

Happy weekend, everyone.  It's finally starting to look a bit sunnier and - dare I say it - a touch less freezing here, so I'll be spending my Saturday... at work.  Oh well, it'll be nice to say hello to Bodleian people, and then I'm off to spend Saturday evening at my friend's house, watching The Voice.  Very classy, me.  You can treat yourself better, by reading a weekend miscellany.

1.) The blog post - check out Hayley's response to my recent On Not Knowing Art post, entitled On Knowing Art.

2.) The book - came courtesy of lovely Folio books, and is a beautiful copy of All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque - which I've been intending to read for ages.  Has anyone read it? (Follow that link to see the details of the Folio edition I was kindly sent.)



3.) The link - is silly. It just is silly. But I love it. Click here to ask one of nature's great questions.

12 comments:

  1. All quiet on the western front is an amazing book, it really shows you how horrible WWI was for all the soldiers, from both sides.
    I hope you will enjoy it,

    kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book group is reading it later in 2013, so I will report back in due course!

      Delete
  2. With ONE youtube video you almost derailed my plans to get the laundry into the dryer and the hoovering done before noon today..aarrrgh. Enjoy your weekend, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read All Quiet on the Western Front before you were born. According to my index card file, I was very impressed by the book but thought it was gory and sad. Those are the impressions of a 1960s teenager. I might have different opinions if I read it now.

    My cat Nikita and I were reading your blog together, as we often do. Today was her turn because my cat Turtle went back to bed after breakfast. Nikita felt the dinosaur lacked any enthusiasm for the conflict and thought that the kitten would get a big head after such an easy victory. So hard to impress a cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikita's thoughts did make me laugh! :D

      I'll report back on All Quiet in due course, and see if I agree... I hope it's not TOO gory.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear I did have a copy of All quiet on the Western front, but I'm afriad I culled it unceremoniously from my TBR, maybe I shouldn't have. That Folio edition looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Folio editions are simply beautiful, aren't they? They can hardly help being.

      Delete
  5. I finally got around to reading AQotWF a couple of years ago, and wondered why I had never gotten around to it before. It is brilliant - has a well-deserved place in the twentieth-century canon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that, Debbie; it's made me all the more eager to read it (and then maybe Not So Quiet by Helen Zenna Smith, a Virago Modern Classic that I assume is connected somehow.)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful edition of All Quiet on the Western Front! If you enjoy it, I would highly recommend another brilliant WWI novel, titled Generals Die in Bed by Charles Yale Harrison. Apparently, it was an inspiration for Remarque's AQotWF.

    http://lilyoakbooks.blogspot.ca/2013/01/generals-die-in-bed-by-charles-yale.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that recommendation (and what a striking title it has.)

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.