Friday 26 April 2013

A couple of quick things...

I've never used a blog reader, but I know a lot of you do - and are probably aware that Google Reader will be shutting down soon.  Well, I've seen a few bloggers link to Bloglovin', which apparently does the same sort of thing (and you can import to it from Google Reader.)  If you'd like to add my blog to a Bloglovin' account, you can do so here.

[cartoon by John Taylor, borrowed from OxfordDictionaries.com]

The other link is from work - I put together a quiz called Bible or Bard?  As you might be able to gather, you have to work out whether a quotation is from the King James Bible or the works of Shakespeare.  I had great fun putting it together - and it's pretty difficult, I have to say!  There are 30 quotations to test you... have a go here, and let me know how you do.

[Oops, link was to the wrong site - have fixed it now!]

I'm off home for the weekend, so I'll be back blogging next week! (And that's when I'll reply to your lovely comments too - sorry I've left it for a while...)

20 comments:

  1. 26! The rest of the family is now queuing up to take it...competition is fierce around here. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you! You've equalled my brother - but a couple of points behind my parents (who, luckily for marital harmony, tied!)

      Delete
  2. 21! My little sister also took it and beat me with 22. Very fun, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely done! The office high was 18, so you've all done very well.

      Delete
  3. The link to the quiz keeps taking me to bloglovin -- can't see how to find it. Others have obviously so what am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for pointing that out Harriet :)

      Delete
  4. If anyone doesn't take to Bloglovin (great name!), I'm now using Feedly which is turning out to be pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one I don't know about! Thanks Helen :)

      Delete
  5. I only managed 22/30 on the Bible or Bard quiz. I got off to a good start but seemed to lose may way towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too bad at all, David! I dread to think how I'd have done if I'd taken the test...

      Delete
  6. I got 25. Thanks for fixing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 24/30 I know my Shakespeare but I'm not so hot on the biblical quotes. I did once attend a lecture by a very eminent Shakespeare and biblical scholar who had spent some time trying to find proof that the playwright attached to King James' own theatre company, i.e. Shakespeare, had had a hand in the King James Version but unfortunately to no avail. It would have been a great game - spotting the passages for which he was responsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice theory, isn't it! But probably no evidence for it which isn't fanciful.... Bill Bryson writes wonderfully about bizarre Shakespearean theories in his book Shakespeare.

      Delete
  8. It *was* pretty difficult - I only got 23/30. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A marvellous Quiz - I will direct other members of my family to the link and see if they can beat my perfect score. Thanks for this chance at one-upmanship! Hope you are having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, thanks! I hope family harmony was not destroyed...

      Delete
  10. It is, of course, well known that Shakespeare did the translation of Psalm 46 for the King James Bible. He gave us the clues - the 46th word is Shake, and the 46th word from the end is spear. Shakespeare would have been 46 years old in 1610 as the book was being prepared for the press - and to top it all off, William Shakespeare is an anagram of “Here was I, like a psalm.”

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.