Saturday 6 October 2012

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

Another rainy weekend here, I think - but I'll be at work on Saturday anyway, so I feel a bit better about it... hope you have something planned!

1.) The link - is shameless.  I discovered @EmergencyPuppy - basically lots of very cute photos of animals (not just puppies).  If you want a taster, here is the one captioned 'Here is my ball, perhaps you would like it?'



2.) The blog post - I've never entirely worked out how Slaves of Golconda works, or where they got their curious name from, but lovely blogger Danielle has chosen lovely book Crewe Train by lovely author Rose Macaulay for their next group read - ergo, a whole heap of lovely.  Some info here. Discussion starts November 17th, and if you need further persuasion, my review of the novel is here.


3.) The book - came the other day, was left in the living room, picked up by my housemate - and then I heard lots of helpless laughter the other side of the wall!  Just My Typo, kindly sent my Hodder and Stoughton, is a collection of amusing typos from literature, signs, text messages, newspapers, etc... on the first page is a taster of what's to come: "Barney" by Rudge - $1.50.  It's an 19th century American advert... think about it...



9 comments:

  1. Puppy!!! There can never be too many people sharing puppy photos. Daily Puppy has been my go-to source of adorable puppy photos since university, because sometimes there really are moments where you need to look at photos of puppies in order to restore your faith in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never ever felt that way! :-)

      Delete
    2. Imagine the cat equivalent, Peter!

      Claire - yay for the puppy dogs! Although obviously I'm a cat man first and foremost, this puppy is adorable.

      Delete
  2. EmergencyPuppy has got two new followers - me & my daughter. The tpyos book sounds ideal for my Dad's birthday - thanks for highlighting it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Glad you enjoyed them, Annabel :)

      Delete
  3. I note the cover refers to "my" world! Are they sure it's a typo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link--very kind of you to do a little shout out! Actually another blogger came up with the name of the group--it's from a quote by Coleridge:

    http://www.winwisdom.com/quotes/samuel-taylor-coleridge/246624.aspx

    He started this group to read an discuss books, and there are a few of us who have been die-hard readers--anyone is welcome to join or drop in and chat about what we're reading. It's all pretty laid back. We take turns coming up with a list of books and then voting on them--this time around it turned out to be Crewe Train, which I'm very excited to read--my copy is sitting next to my bed and I shall be picking it up to read very soon! And I'm looking forward to reading your post--will do so when I've finished reading. Very cute puppy--have you ever seen the website kittenwar? If you want to O.D. on serious cuteness check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for explaining more thoroughly, Danielle, I'm on the same page now! :)

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.