Tuesday 11 November 2008

Nicholas Hely Hutchinson


Those who remember my Stuck-in-a-Book's Oxford Tour, back in July 2007 (goodness! what a long time ago) might recall this post and Arcadia, my favourite shop in Oxford. Some secondhand books, lots of lovely gifts and wrapping paper and cards, I go whenever a birthday is coming. Occasionally I'll buy a card just because I love it, and want to have it on my desk. That was how I discovered Nicholas Hely Hutchinson.
He creates beautiful portrayals of nature - sloping and slid
ing and seemingly on a pivot, as it were. Rather than a straight landscape, the pictures then feel alive (though not frenetic); humourous, without losing a reverence for beauty. I'll keep quiet, and show you some examples. (I hope I'm allowed to do that! I'll remove them if I need to... but since I hope this leads people to buy prints or even paintings, it might be in his favour...)


Do go to his website - I've just been for the first time, and it has a slideshow of his paintings. I may be a little in love with them. They're what the art world would term 'affordable', but at the moment I'd need them to be under £10 to qualify. Even so, I'm horribly tempted...

9 comments:

  1. I discovered him a few years ago and love his work. I've had only cards up to now (been given and sent several) but covet the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that Jake and Nicholas's son Seamus shared a house in Exeter last year? I discovered him through that connection...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, I'll go and admire them on his website, and I'll certainly buy some cards if I see them - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rats - I went and looked. Oh, I so badly want the one called Autumn Evening....

    ReplyDelete
  5. These really are beautiful. I adore the last one .... but then I love every picture I see of Venice

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great pictures. The one of the woman by the window is one that strikes me the most. I occasionally like to buy cards too and either frame them or stick them by my desk. It's a cheap collectors method until we can afford them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word - what have you done to me? I love some of these pictures and found myself seriously working out where I could get funding from. Like sell things, ask for money for Christmas, sell more things, beg...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I loved seeing his work. I like the animal ones best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous - oh so tempting, sigh.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.