Tuesday 2 June 2009

Reading Wrecks

You guys might remember that I love, honour, and obey the wonderful Cake Wrecks website. To quote the tagline, it's where professional cakes go horribly, hilariously wrong. What's not to like?

But Jen, who writes the blogs, also appreciates really good cake decorating. So every Sunday she shows cakes that are excellent - probably aided by those each week which make you want to cry, they're so bad.

This Sunday it was book-themed. 'Book' seems to be synonymous with 'children's book', but that's fair enough, as sadly adults get fewer themed-cakes than children do. Though I've had Mr. Men cakes more since I turned 18 than before.

Basically, go and have a look at them. I looked through the FAQs and couldn't find anything saying not to post pictures from the website, so here is an example:



Awww. I want a birthday cake. Right now. With a Miss Hargreaves theme.
(N.B. my birthday is only, err, five months away... so I deserve a cake, right?)

Enjoy! Hope the weather is as sunny where you are as it is in Oxford. And hope you aren't going mad, like me, over the dissertation that never ends... (only two weeks left, then fun, frolic[k]ing, and a road trip to Devon!)

5 comments:

  1. My Mum made me a book-shaped cake for my 8th birthday which was a personalised version of an Enid Blyton book. I'd been out with my best friends for the day, and the title was something along the lines of "3 go to Wookey hole". Must try to find a pic!

    In the meantime, I'd settle for an cake on my birthday. I thought I wouldn't have to make my own this year as I have on the last 3 birthdays when my partner promised to bake me any sort of cake I like. The recipe was found and pointed out, but nearly 2 months later, I'm still waiting . :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic birthday treat and I say that any day is a good day for cake, birthday or otherwise! Sadly, it is not as sunny here as it is in Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cake! I love making cakes for my boys, but I'm not as good as that - maybe in a few years time!

    Good luck with the rest of the dissertation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my time I hve made a Care Bear cake, Winnie thePooh, assorted engines, houses, trains, clocks but my piece de resistance was a Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs cake. I have photos somewhere I will have to dig them out.

    Oh and I made a violin cake when one of my daughters was studying this instrument. My musician husband came in took one look at it and said That looks more like a viola...

    He is now my ex-husband

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could make cakes like that - I can bake, it's just that I'm not that good at the decorations. A book themed cake is a great idea - my inventiveness only stretches to making a cake to look like an open book - maybe I could manage that.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.