Saturday 18 October 2014

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

I'm off for part of the weekend - to visit Jane Austen's house, no less - and so still haven't caught up with answering comments yet. I will soon! But I shan't leave you empty-handed; here are a few bits and pieces to tide you over.

1.) I wrote about A.A. Milne for the OxfordWords blog, which I've been intending to do ever since I started working at OUP.

2.) Margaret Kennedy Reading Week was good fun, and I've bought a copy of her book The Outlaws on Parnassus: on the art of the novel as a result of it. Enjoy a full round-up over at Jane/Fleur's.

3.) It's actually been ages since I submitted my DPhil thesis (last October) was vivaed (in January) and had my corrections approved (May) - but I still haven't had my graduation (November). I have, though, finally got my thesis bound. One copy has been submitted to the Bodleian; another is here:


13 comments:

  1. What is your thesis about? What's the title?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title is 'Dark, mysterious, and undocumented': the middlebrow fantasy and the fantastic middlebrow - it's about fantastic novels and the middlebrow between the world wars.

      Delete
  2. You wrote about AAM! That's clearly a highlight for my weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have written so much more! I had to reel myself in...

      Delete
  3. Someone needs to start a tumblr of bound dissertations - very uplifting sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! True. Although I refused to engage in anything at all about PhDs in social media whilst I was doing mine, as it was too scary.

      Delete
  4. We noticed your DPhil listed in the latest edition of the Magdalen College Record, so once again, many congratulations, Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a thing of beauty. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your bound thesis! It looks very serious and worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so exciting!! What a beautiful sight :) When you say "Austen's house," I'm assuming Chawton? Can't wait to hear how your visit goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful, Simon. Congratulations.

    Elaine (Liz1564)

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.