Tuesday 23 September 2014

The Literary Press

I had a fun coincidence waiting for me when I got back from holiday. Just before I went I had the excitement of one of my Abebooks 'wants' alerts coming into my inbox, and one I've been wanting for years: My Husband Simon by Mollie Panter-Downes. A click or two and it was on its way...

And you've already seen my Norfolk haul, including The Sleeper Awakes by H.G. Wells - it was only when I returned from holiday and opened the parcel waiting for me that I saw that the two books came in the same series, from The Literary Press. And I'm pretty sure I don't own any others in this series - what a fun coincidence!


Does this series ring a bell with anyone? They might well appear in secondhand bookshops on those shelves filled with Everyman Classics etc. which, all too often, I overlook. Rows and rows of easily-findable (in the UK) books by Priestley, Kipling, Trollope etc. don't make for thrilling browsing, but I have found rare copies of E.H. Young and Elizabeth von Arnim titles on the everything-looks-the-same-shelves, and now this. I'll have to look even more carefully in future...

10 comments:

  1. Sorry for being nosey but was it expensive?

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful.You must review it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're lovely Simon - it's not an imprint I've come across before but I'll be keeping my eyes open now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now in danger of wanting to collect them all...

      Delete
  4. They're beautiful! I've not seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please review this novel soon!!!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.