Tuesday 2 September 2014

Pleasures and Landscapes by Sybille Bedford

Another book review to point you to in Shiny New Books! This one is by an author I'd love to know more about - Sybille Bedford. She seems so fascinating. I loved her novel A Favourite of the Gods, and so I took Daunt Books up on their offer of her collected travel writing, Pleasures and Landscapes (2003, although collected from mostly 1950s and 1960s articles).

I usually don't like travel writing, so I was nervous, but I really liked the way Bedford writes - and the unusual (often food-orientated) take she has on the world. If that's tickled your fancy, you can read the whole review on Shiny New Books...

4 comments:

  1. I love food oriented books! And the cover of this is just so arresting - I will pop over to the full review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like food oriented books you'll LOVE this!

      Delete
  2. I loved this too - it was quite unexpected in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what I expected, but it definitely wasn't this. :)

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.