Wednesday 31 July 2013

#GreeneForGran

A quick post to spread the word about Greene For Gran - an initiative started up by Simon Savidge.  If you're a fan of blogging Simons, chances are that you've also been over to Savidge Reads - his tastes are quite different from mine, but of course I love his blog - and through that, got to know the tastes of Dorothy Savidge, aka Simon's Gran.  We were all sorry to hear about her illness, and that she passed away recently. It is only befitting, for a woman who loved reading, that people get reading in her honour - and Simon S hit upon the excellent idea of #GreeneForGran - that is, reading some books by an author Dorothy loved: Graham Greene.

He mentioned it on Twitter, and a few of us thought it sounded like an excellent plan and spurred him on - and now you can read all about the plans. Basically, read something by Greene during August, and maybe post or discuss during the last few days of the month.  Vintage Books will also be doing the odd giveaway over at Simon S's.

I've only read a couple of Greene books (Travels With My Aunt and Brighton Rock) and strongly recommend the former.  I have a few others on my shelves, and I intend to grab at least one of them during August and have a read.  I do hope you'll join in - and that you'll spread the word.

9 comments:

  1. I'm in and have been promoting this on Facebook and Twitter. Such a lovely idea to honor his Gran this way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in - got so much I want to read during August but I will be reading Stamboul Train - probably while I'm away the week after next -as I simply downloaded it to my kindle and I tend to read on my kindle when I go away it's easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in -I haven't read any of Greene but ordered three books straight after reading your post. I love the idea and will tell my friends via Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up a copy of The Heart of the Matter today and hope to get it in during August.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in too - I have several Greenes on Mount TBR and so this will be a great chance to reduce it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several Greene books in my Penguin collection so will pull one out for this month in honour of Granny Savidge. I will so miss hearing Simon talk about her. Felt I knew her

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just brought the power and the glory have read a number of his other books ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Simon - long time no blog! (me that is not you). I read The Power and the Glory a long time ago and felt moved by the priest character - I think you will like it, from what I can remember about it - or at least, as a Christian you may find the character interesting - as a Catholic priest who is a bit of a mess but still carries on taking masses and representing Christ, I guess.

    Janex

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like such a great idea. I will see if I can participate..though its a little late. Have been wanting to read "The Power and The Glory" for the longest time

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.