Monday 20 May 2013

Some books...

Wow, thanks for all your comments on the previous post - I will reply to them soon, but basically it seems like we all make wishlists somewhere or other, and I'm very impressed by how organised some of you are!

And I thought I'd treat you with a little pile of books which have recently come to Stuck-in-a-Book Towers... let's work from the bottom up, shall we?  (I hadn't realised until I put these together for the photo quite how blue books have dominated of late...)


London War Notes 1939-1945 by Mollie Panter-Downes
I thought this book was absolutely brilliant, and essential WW2 reading, when I reviewed it earlier in the year - but I didn't actually own a copy. When an affordable one came up in my abebooks alerts, I high-tailed it to... well, the internet. But the book is mine now, and I'm thrilled!

Selected Poems by Anthony Thwaite
The Norman Church by A.A. Milne
The Man in the Bowler Hat by A.A. Milne
These all came via a connection Claire/The Captive Reader brought to my attention - as you might know, A.A. Milne is one of my favourite authors, and the first one I loved wholeheartedly in my adult reading. 2012 was Claire's year of discovering AAM, and she read many of his books - and Ann Thwaite's exceptionally good biography A.A. Milne: His Life.  I've read it a few times, in pre-blog days, but haven't posted about it yet. Anyway, Ann Thwaite spotted Claire's review and commented on it that she's looking to sell some of AAM books - read her comment on this post - and I got in touch with her.  We had a chat on the phone, and she was lovely - and I bought the Milne books mentioned here. The collection of poetry by her husband came as a surprise bonus, and I must write to thank her soon :)  I can't tell you have special it feels to have these books come from the author of a biography which affected my reading so much.

The Maiden Dinosaur by Janet McNeill
This one was a recommendation by a SiaB reader, Tina, as mentioned in my previous post.

Symposium by Muriel Spark
One of the few Spark novels I didn't already own. very kindly given to me by Karen. It might well be my next Spark read...

The Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay
Coming Up For Air by George Orwell
What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept by Elizabeth Smart
I bought these in the brilliant Amnesty Book Shop in Bristol last weekend - I did already have a copy of the Macaulay, but not in this gorgeous NYRB Classics edition... I'm not the sort of person who could resist that, as well we all know.

Mel recommended the Catherine O'Flynn, and the other two are books I've been intending to read for ages. Well, actually I just want to read more Orwell in general, and had hoped to find The Clergyman's Daughter, but this will more than do.

Letters of Lewis Carroll
Well, why on earth not? (Also timely, as I am going to see Judi Dench in Peter and Alice this weekend. Can't wait!)

23 comments:

  1. London War Notes!! Have not read it, but it looks really good and I loved her Persephone book of stories about the war.

    Also, thank you for posting about books bought. It makes me feel a little less alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so thrilled to get it!
      And I love reading and writing posts about books bought - there will be another one soon...

      Delete
  2. About half-way through London War Notes and LOVING it!!

    My my! "Peter & Alice" looks so good it makes me want to jump the next plane to London. Enjoy, and do review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! Let me know if you write about it :) I'll be writing about Peter and Alice soon...

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous haul! The Letters of Lewis Carroll sounds fascinating - I've been re-reading him in the wake of my trip to Oxford, and I'd really like to find a decent biography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything about him - although now I've learnt a bit more from Peter & Alice - but there's no denying that Alice is a work of genius.

      Delete
  4. Lovely books Simon, and well done on snagging the Mollie Panter-Downes! It is, of course, completely impossible to resist a NYRB edition of anything.....! (Glad Symposium arrived safely and hope you enjoy it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen about NYRB!
      And thanks again for Symposium :)

      Delete
  5. Letters of Lewis Carroll... hope you'll be reading this book really soon (before the weekend, maybe? ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't manage it before the weekend! I tend to read diaries or letters slowly over a loooong period, so it might be a while before I post about that one - but it does seem to have garnered most interest here.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, What Was Lost is MARVELLOUS and set somewhere I know quite well, too ... and yes, thanks for posting acquisitions, makes the rest of us feel a bit better!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder when I will get to it! When I'm in the mood for something modern, I suppose...

      Delete
  7. What Was Lost......good read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, very good, Simon, on putting an alert at ABEbooks for the War Notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely the best way to beat the crowds for new titles! I have several set up, and they've snared some bargains over the years.

      Delete
  9. Bravo for tracking down a copy of London War Notes, Simon! I am so pleased that you were able to get in touch with Ann Thwaite and not only talk to her but also to expand your Milne collection. Have you read The Norman Church before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read The Norman Church, years ago, and can even quote the first two verses from memory... It's fun and interesting, but I agree with Ann Thwaites' comment in the biog that it probably wouldn't have been published if Methuen hadn't felt that they owed him.

      Delete
  10. I really liked What Was Lost! I'd like to read more about Birmingham. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never notice where things are set, I'm afraid!

      Delete
  11. I've recently read Orwell's Coming Up for Air. Not half bad. :-) I suspect you will enjoy it, Simon. It's on my list of want-to-reviews when my busy May slides into a-bit-more-in-control June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep an eye out for that review, then! I have been meaning to read Orwell again for ages...

      Delete
  12. Dare I ask what you consider a reasonable price for London War Notes? I peeked at the internet and saw copies for around $65 U.S. -- can they be found for less?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I was so thrilled when a cheaper copy came up! It was about £10 plus postage - so, not crazy cheap, but since most copies are around the price you saw (and thus out of my budget) I jumped at this cheaper copy.

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.