Saturday 8 September 2012

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

After a lovely time away - cue obligatory photo of Sherpa:


- where was I?  After a lovely time away, I am back in Oxford, and will be spending my weekend baking and reading.  Perfection!  But I shall leave you with some top-notch miscellaneous things today.

1.) The link - is a hilariously brilliant video from The Flight of the Conchords.  They've written a charity song, with the help of some children in choosing the lyrics... don't forget to click through to Youtube and donate to the cause.  Or you can donate here. (The beginning might not make sense if you've not familiar with the excellent TV series, but give it a minute and you'll be fine.)



2.) The blog post - was an easy choice this week.  Darlene and I had a 'reading smack down' (her words) - a race for Darlene to read something by my beloved Ivy Compton-Burnett, and me to read my second Elizabeth Bowen novel (having not loved my first) since Darlene adores Bowen.  Well, before I'd even pulled The House in Paris off the shelf, Darlene had read Manservant and Maidservant - and liked it!  Read her great review here, and congratulate her on her smack down victory.  It smarts.

3.) The book - I spotted that Erica Brown's book on Elizabeth von Arnim and Elizabeth Taylor, Comedy and the Feminine Middlebrow Novel, is out in December.  At £60 it's probably not on for many private libraries, but if you hold any sway at your local academic library, then get a word in now!  More here.

5 comments:

  1. For one moment there I thought clever Sherpa was going to do some baking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clue was in the spelling - 'perfection' = Simon, 'purrfection' = Sherpa. Easy once you know how to crack the code ;)

      Delete
    2. I wish Sherpa would bake! That would be adorable (er, but not very hygienic...)

      Delete
  2. Nice pic. It makes me think of Old Deuteronomy, "...when he sits in the sun on the vicarage wall."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very appropriate! She hasn't taken much to sitting on walls and fences, though. Prefers beds - sensible cat!

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.