Friday 23 March 2012

A couple of reminders...

First reminder!  There is one month to go until Muriel Spark Reading Week!


Quite a long way off, yes, but perhaps time to put in an order at the library, or root through your bookshelves... or, if you have an e-reader, Open Road emailed me to let me know that they have just released eight Muriel Spark ebooks.  More info here - but I'm pleased to see lots of rarer Spark titles have been included, alongside her most famous book The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.  Amongst the titles are two that I'm planning to read during the week (or in the weeks leading up to it, as I've sneakily started already) - The Only Problem and Reality and Dream.  These ebooks are available in the US and EU countries (excluding UK, sadly) - so it might well be easier than finding hard copies in your area.


My second reminder is about something happening rather sooner - my contribution to Elizabeth Taylor Centenary Year is hosting the discussion on A View of the Harbour, and that will be taking place next Monday.


You'll be pleased to know that I've now actually read the novel, and I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts and hearing yours.  If you've already posted a review of the novel, go and add a link to Laura's Mr. Linky, and I'll also pop your link in a post here.  Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled for Monday morning's review!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to grab that book (and hopefully read it) when I'm home for Easter.

    And I'm interested to read your thoughts on ET...I've heard/read a lot about her but I've never read any of her books. (But I own one! Of course: owned but unread. It's Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Palfrey is one of the ones I've read - and it's good! The film is also fun, although rather more comic.

      Delete
  2. My Spark of choice has been signed out from the library and I'll pop round on Monday. See you then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray!
      I started another one yesterday... I'm addicted.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I haven't read anything by Muriel Spark yet so I may join you! I'll see what my schedule allows, busy woman that I am:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder. I am very interested about the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil the librarian brought a large box of Muriel Spark books for the book clubs last Monday - so we have shared them out and the readathon begins! There were lots of 'oohs' and 'ahhhs' and 'what-do-you-recommends?'
    Wheeeeee - !

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh I only read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie the other day. I wont save that till next month though as Im sure next month may be bombarded with The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Ill pick something else as lets face it all her books are short which is abit of a winner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're kind to me, Jessica - because I am hoping that there won't just be a dozen Jean Brodie reviews! If you have time to read another, that would be wonderful - as you say, they're all so short!

      Delete
  7. I was milling around our used bookstore and came across a copy of Loitering With Intent. There was another title on the shelf, but this one sounded better from the back. I just searched your blog and realized why this one sounded so good. So while I won't have a less familiar title to read, my introduction to Spark should be a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Susan!
      It's still my favourite Spark title so far - such a clever book. Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  8. I received an email about the Muriel Spark ebooks, but then I saw on twitter that they were US only and was disappointed. But now it looks like they may be available to me in the Netherlands. Yay! (I feel completely unsophisticated using that word on your blog, I hope you will forgive me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is one of those occasions where you have better access to a British author than we have in Britain ;) I guess there must be a different company with the British ebook rights.

      Delete
  9. I ve a far cry from .. ready simon my first spark book ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.