Saturday 1 October 2011

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany


H
appy weekend folks!  And happy October too.  I suspect a lot of us in Britain are enjoying the unseasonably hot weather - personally, I'm retreating to the shade with paracetamol, but I'll try not to begrudge heat-seekers their (literal) day in the sun.  I shall even add to their bounty with a book, a blog post, and a link.


1.) The link - is a rather amusing video from an old TV programme What's My Line?  For those not in the know, this ran in the 50s and 60s, where panellists had to deduce the occupations of guests, and then the identity of a mystery famous guest.  In this case the guest is Salvador Dali, and his self-belief makes the exchange especially funny.  The video is below and, if that doesn't work, the link is here.





2.) The book - is slightly unusual territory for me.  I don't think I've ever read a graphic novel, but I am very captivated by what I've seen of Brecht Evens' The Wrong Place, kindly sent to me by Jonathan Cape.  Besides Evens' astonishingly good name, I love the style of his artistry.  At the moment that is all I know about this book... perhaps the cover and an illustration from inside will be enough to captivate you too.  (The illustration is taken from Evens' own flickr set for The Wrong Place here.)  It's not published until Oct0ber 20th, and I will report back further in the future...






3.) The blog post - has to be Sakura's review of We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - how lovely that she is reading some of my favourite books this year, and even lovelier that she's enjoying them so much!  But do also keep up with Darlene's wonderful travel-log (travelogue?) of her time in London.  I think I'm going to be in the next instalment, so there's an incentive ;) 

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never read a graphic novel, either, but those illustrations are fantastic! They alone would compel me to acquire the book. I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Simon. I may even get to Mrs. Hargreaves at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joining you in the shade with the paracetamol! Could someone please bring the traditional nip in the air back to autumn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I loved that clip! And yes, you're up next in my chronicles of London but first Deacon needs a walk...stay tuned!

    Oh, and sorry to hear you are still under the weather, Simon. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stunned to hear you have never read a graphic novel! Could I perhaps recommend Maus, Persepolis, Watchmen, Blankets (and many others). For one that (so far) has not been turned into a book, and comes with your favourite embellishment (extensive footnotes) let me refer you to the wonderful Sydney Padua and 2D goggles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clip humorous! I'll probably snitch it. I don't see how Arlene F. came up with his identity, however, but I recall that show, not that early perhaps and there were times when you said, "Yeah, right!" when someone named the guest without sufficient information.

    I have not been able to stay with a graphic novel. Perhaps I haven't found the right one but then I was never a fan of comic books.


    word verif. - subooker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the clip. I've never read a graphic novel either, and can't say I'm in a great rush to seek one out. Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan - I know! I love the idea of a watercolour graphic novel, so much more attractive than the usual comic-style illustrations.

    Sakura - one day! (Although the lady is NOT married... ;))

    Victoria - it seems to be on its way now, thank goodness!

    Darlene - I loved your write-up :) And I'm not really under the weather, just the sunshine gives me a headache...

    Peter - are you *really* surprised?! I'd have thought it fairly congruous for me not to have read one... but thanks for the tips!

    leazwell - yes, I do wonder if they are having answers whispered... and great word verification!

    Susan - I'll report back on The Wrong Place at some point, and might sway you to trying one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simon, yes I am really surprised. Honest!! I am always surprised (call it blinkered if you will) when I discover literate people who have not read any graphic novel. Not even Tintin (I have all of them in French) - perhaps I could recommend Le Lotus Bleu? Have you not been tempted at all by Posy Simmonds Tamara Drew?

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.