Wednesday 4 August 2010

Bits and Pieces

Well, it's nearly sorted out here... all the books are out (hurrah!) except for some which seem to be hiding - and I've managed to fill a box to go home with Our Vicar and Our Vicar's Wife when they visit next week.

Sorry I haven't responded to comments on the last few posts yet, promise I will soon. Perhaps I'd have done so in spare moments at work today, but I managed to leave my glasses at home (or rather, couldn't find them this morning) so was avoiding using a computer screen too much. When I got home... of course they were right in front of me. Hmm.

A couple of links to keep you going, whilst I think about proper reviews and suchlike - firstly, Karen has posted the latest Wikio literary blog rankings, and I'm pleased to see lots of my favourite people there - not least Karen herself, who has rocketed into second place. I'm surprised and pleased to see I'm still in at fourth - I haven't a clue how these rankings work or how reliable their algorithms are, but... oh, it's a bit of fun, isn't it?

And do pop over to Elaine's blog to read about lovely Judi Dench at the Proms. Video of Judi Dench's performance of Send in the Clowns should be below... simply stunning.





And, since this is supposed to be a book blog, what am I reading? Primarily Barbara Comyns' Birds in Tiny Cages, but also The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for book group... which is proving to be wholly unsuccessful. I may well give up on it... more on that soon. Oh, and I've just finished making notes from an interesting book by Rosemary Jackson called Fantasy: The Literature of Subversion.

Have a good Thursday, everyone! I shall be making Meringue Gateau Mark Two - this time with raspberries and kiwi fruit. Mmmmm....

8 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for anything Sondheim, but Send in the Clowns is a particular favourite. A lovely clip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed the blogs on the last list. Nice to see whether any new blogs have made it to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. As one of the blogs we follow regularly, we've just awarded you a Versatile Blogger Award on our website. Check it out and don't forget to pass the torch on!!

    Amber
    ReadingHabit
    Ambire Secondhand Books
    http://feedyourreadinghabit.blogspot.com
    http://www.readinghabit.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the video - I saw the performance on BBC tv on Saturday night and its good to revisit it

    ReplyDelete
  5. My uncle, who is about the most unfussy reader I know, after 40 years of teaching English - got to page 56 (and could remember that) of The Girl etc before putting it down, never to be picked up again. I have taken that as a sign not to let it darken my door...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great you featured this clip. I turned on the TV at random and was stunned with her performance. No wonder she wins all those awards!

    Happy housewarming.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire - stunning, isn't it?

    Mystica - it's a fun list, isn't it?

    ReadingHabit - thanks so much!

    Tom - lovely, isn't it? She's so brilliant.

    Jennifer Dee - I might kidnap Judi Dench and make her act and sing in my kitchen...

    Debs - I have officially given up...

    Janells - wonderful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.