Sunday 25 January 2009

Virago Collage

I have just downloaded Picasa 3, and it's AMAZING. Not often that computer technology gets me excited, but this one has provided all sorts of exciting collagey options for my photos in the future. Look forward to it...

But for today, I am presenting a visual eulogy to the Virago Green Covers. I'm not the first - see Elaine's post here, and Ruth's here - but I don't think it can be overstated. Their Modern Classics covers not only brought many great books back into the market, but also created a design classic of pu
blishing only matched by Penguin's orange three-stripe covers. I doubt any dissenting voice will come forward, so just join in praise of their covers. Or choose a favourite from below, if they can be seen (you may have to click to enlarge). I think mine is Elizabeth Taylor's A Game of Hide and Seek - for the cover, I mean. I've not actually read it yet...


and a few of my favourites...

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Simon, I don't think you can ever go wrong with posting Virago covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the George Egerton 'Keynotes and Discords' cover is simply yummy. Not to mention the fact that it's a marvellous book anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great. I did a similar collage of eiderdowns with Picasa 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The Three Sisters is a favorite cover of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has brightened up my morning! "A Game of Hide and Seek" is indeed lovely and I'm very fond of the Barbara Comyns covers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am going to have to go to the independent bookshop in Balham and try and get Antonia White's Strangers I love that cover, they have reused that image for Margaret Atwoods The Penelopiad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you have discovered Picasa 3 Simon for a free program it is great. I hve been scanning a huge amount of old photos, this is a project which is going to take a while, and I can sharpen them, trim,and brighten them all up and they come up likenew. I now have loads of lovely photos of my daughters when they were tiny which would otherwise be lost.

    Glad to see that you are featuring the Virago covers as well!!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.