Saturday 7 June 2014

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

Well, the rains, they cometh. Hopefully that means I can curl up indoors and fight off Reader's Block (I know I keep mentioning it, but it's a bit of a worry with the pile of Shiny New Books to read, although mine is nothing compared to Victoria's). But I've still rustled up a book, a link, and a blog post...

1.) The link - I put together another quiz for OxfordWords - this time, can you spot titles borrowed from other books? I think this is the post I've had most fun creating so far. Let me know how you did!

2.) The book - Can I be mammothly indiscreet for a moment? Almost every publisher has been wonderful about providing books for Shiny New Books - either to us or to a band of willing reviewers. The exception is Fourth Estate, who have ignored all of our emails - but, damn their eyes &c., they also publish some very intriguing-sounding books (and I'm sure they have v good reasons for not being able to reply!) It's played in their favour, as we've ended up buying the books ourselves and sending them off to reviewers - and today I ordered a beautiful reprint of Penelope Fitzgerald's Charlotte Mew and Her Friends. They've also reprinted lots of her novels in equally striking covers.

3.) The blog post - my Shiny New Books co-editor has done her own Q&A - you're too late to ask the Q, I'm afraid, but you can read the A - part one and part two.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for starting this meme off, and for the links Simon - I enjoyed answering the Qs! On another tack, it'll be interesting to see if 4th Estate get in touch ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What larks! Such a ball with the quiz. Only 8 right. fiendish stuff Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mew cover is wonderful. And I got 9 on the quiz which is the best I've ever done on one of these so I'm dead chuffed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of that Fitzgerald too - I have read a few of her books - some I loved like Offshore - others were well a tiny bit odd though not unenjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also scored an 8. Fun idea for a quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read 'The Beginning of Spring' and completely loved it. A masterpiece. I much prefer it to 'The Blue Flower'. Have now downloaded three of her very early books to have my very own book hibernation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pleased to get 9/10 - had to really think about it.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these covers of Penelope Fitzgerald books, I bought one in the new Foyles Saturday - no bookshop jaunt is complete unless you leave with a Fitzgerald.

    I got 6/10 but, ashamedly the answers I got right were all guesses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 8 out of 10. Not too shabby!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.