Tuesday 20 December 2011

Santas everywhere!

I've been a lucky boy today, since my Persephone Secret Santa arrived to coincide with opening day for the LibraryThing Virago Secret Santa - so I got this little lot of goodies, courtesy of lovely Emma and lovely Rob.  Thanks, guys!


Emma chose Miss Buncle Married and this lovely Christmas tree biscuit (I'm glad I took a photo, since I've eaten most of it now) - Rob surprised me with two authors I've been intending to read this year: G.B. Stern's White Oleander and Margaret Kennedy's Together and Apart.

Have any of you read any of these?


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love the cover art chosen for 'Together and Apart!' Who is the artist?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested to hear what you think of "White Oleander", it's been on my TBR list for ages. Happy Christmas. We'll eat a chocolate (or eight!) here at the library in your honour - not a chance there'll be any left for you in the New Year - sorreee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Together and Apart?

    No, but the cover makes me want to read it.

    It looks like an updated Trollope, that writer's writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read these books but am getting ready to decorate some Christmas cookies, and the gingerbread design looks worthy of copying. So appealing. Fay

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gingerbread looks remarkably unbroken - I'm amazed, as the postman made me throw it into an empty postbox when he refused to put it in the bag he was tying up!
    Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan - it's nice, isn't it? It's from The Arrival of the Jarrow Marchers in London by T.C. Dugdale, which I've never heard of but which they credit to The Geffrye Museum - which is odd, because I didn't know they had any paintings there.

    Alison - I'll have to hold out for Verity's homebaking!

    Shelley - I can't compare, having not read Trollope, but I agree that the cover is enticing.

    Fay - copy away! It was very tasty...

    Emma - that is somewhat miraculous! It's now entirely disappeared...

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.