Friday 9 September 2011

If the title fits...

Firstly, I am told that Better World Books are celebrating International Literacy Day by having 20% off three-or-more books. Time differences confuse me, but I think, if you spot this soon after I post it, some of that day is left in America.

Secondly, a meme. I love this meme, which I've been stealing from other sources for the past couple of years - this year Jane reminded me of it here. Basically, answer a set of questions from the titles of books you've read so far in 2011. I should probably wait until December to do it, but can never resist once I've spotted that the blogosphere has started on it. Oh, and I've anglicised it here and there.

Do join in - on your own blogs, or in the comments.

One time on holiday: The Caravaners (Elizabeth von Arnim)

Weekends at my house are: The Element of Lavishness (William Maxwell & Sylvia Townsend Warner)

My neighbour is: Not To Disturb (Muriel Spark)

My boss is: At Large and at Small (Anne Fadiman)

My superhero secret identity is: A Kind Man (Susan Hill)

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry because: Bonjour Tristesse (Francoise Sagan)

I'd win a gold medal in: Exercises in Style (Raymond Queneau)

I'd pay good money for: A House in the Country (Jocelyn Playfair)

If I were Prime Minister I would: Live Alone and Like It (Marjorie Hillis)

When I don't have good books, I: am The Perfect Pest (Adrian Porter)

Loud talkers at the cinema should be: People Who Say Goodbye (P.Y. Betts)


7 comments:

  1. So funny! I haven't done a meme yet, but this seemed like an easy one to start with. I have mine at my page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one and like the new questions ... Can't resist it - got to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these things.Here's my stab at it:
    One time at band/summer camp, I: (was the) Calico Captive
    Weekends at my house are: (spent) Homeschooling the Challenging Child
    My neighbour is: Home
    My boss is: Behind the Stories
    My ex was: A Man for All Seasons (ha!)
    My superhero secret identity is: The Uncommon Reader
    You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry because: (I'm) The Good Soldier
    I’d win a gold medal in: Endurance
    I’d pay good money for: The Incredible Journey
    If I were president, I would : (take) The Thirteen Gun Salutee
    When I don’t have good books, I(‘m): Little Boy (Girl) Lost
    Loud talkers at the movies should be: (sent to) The Far Side of the World

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had fun with this myself - pop over to http://apthomas.wordpress.com
    and take a peep.
    (Sorry Simon, I copied 'President' from Jane. Should have written 'Prime Minister'... but hey?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy these memes as it's interesting seeing what other people have been reading...

    Good one, and I will pass it on.

    liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun meme, Simon. I joined in myself a few days ago.

    When I don't have good books I am 'The Perfect Pest.' Love it.

    P.S. I am one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. pbcbb - it's fun, isn't it?

    Annabel - I enjoyed yours!

    Susan- thanks for playing :) I love your gold medal category.

    Mum - good fun! And very international of you.

    Liz - lovely!

    Yvette - I'm generally a Perfect Pest with one, too ;)

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.